Do not gaze at wine when it is red, when it sparkles in the cup, when it goes down smoothly! In the end it bites like a snake and poisons like a viper.
~Proverbs 23:31, NLT
If I had a dog that bit one in six of my grandchildren, I would get rid of the dog.
~Dr. Adrian Rogers
What can you tell me about the alcohol industry that is good? I am not worried about your answer because you don’t have one. I am 67 years old and I’ve never seen it benefit a person, family or child. I have seen it destroy people, careers and families. Yet we have some very ignorant folks, unfortunately some who profess to be believers, that not only condone the availability and consumption of liquor, they think they will profit by it. No one profits from alcohol long term. Notice I highlighted three words in the verse above, “In the end.” Those who produce, distribute and promote it may make a short term profit but in the end, they will be losers. Channel 19 is thrilled when a city goes wet, they want the advertising dollars. Anheuser Busch and other drug producers are also pleased but sin has a way of coming back to those who promote it. Your curse for promoting alcohol may be that your children grow up to be alcoholics. You may boast that you can handle it: you never get drunk but you have no way of knowing how they will respond. You don’t know the ugly truth about alcohol. I guarantee you that every rich family that seems to be profiting from this drug has an ugly truth that they are covering. God will not be mocked, we reap what we sow.
Alcohol is the number one drug problem in America and has been for my entire life time. We don’t know how many automobile fatalities are linked to alcohol because the media covers the truth. According to the CDC, 31% of traffic fatalities are alcohol related. This means it is more, probably 40% or higher. I couldn’t find a statistic on boating fatalities but I promise you it is high, like nine out of ten. One out of every 5 of these fatalities is a child or minor. You don’t want to know what Tax Payers are putting into drug rehab programs across America. The drug problem is epidemic and would you care to know what the number one drug problem happens to be? Alcohol, alcoholics out number other drug rehab inmates two to one.
Social drinkers and profiteers always think they are immune. They are not, sin always has consequences and alcohol is no exception. The best thing you could do to protect your children from the destructive influence of alcohol is to keep them away from it. You would not only benefit from a dry county, it would be great to have a dry state or country. It would not stop all the killing, maiming and abuse that accompanies this deadly drug, but it would help. Availability always increases consumption.
I’m not making things up: years ago, a minor was in an alcohol related accident that crippled him for life. Someone sold him the alcohol illegally because he was not of age. Not only will that person be held accountable, the persons who distributed, sold and promoted the alcohol will be held accountable. What sane person wants such a tragedy on their conscience?
I am thrilled with the presidential election but broken hearted over the Hartselle vote to legalize the most destructive drug in our society. By the way, do you know what drives the drug industry? GREED! Do you know the consequences of greed? I Timothy 6:10, “Love for money causes all kinds of evil. Some people want to get rich. They have wandered away from the faith. They have wounded themselves with many sorrows.” Who in their right mind would invite MANY SORROWS into their home?
- We have a busy weekend: cleaning floors this morning, the LOCK-IN tonight and GOLDEN GIRLS in the morning.
- We finally got some cool weather but we need a season of rain to break this awful drought. Pray for Rain. The Holy One wants us to look to HIM for help. Humbly ask Him for rain.
- Pray for Joe David. It is a travel day. He has to go to Atlanta for Seminary. He will be in class for five hours and on the road for seven.
- Joyce Chaney is being moved to a room today but she is still not well. Keep praying for Joyce and Kayleigh McClendon.
- Sunday is TURKEY DAY and $20 DAY. We need only 6 turkeys. June and Judy have already committed. They are on sale at Kroger. If you want to commit you can call June or myself. June is better about answering. She doesn’t say ‘goodbye’ either but when she says, “I’ll talk to you later,” she is about to hang up. I reckon Bailey’s just do not know how to say ‘goodbye.’