Hallelujah! Happy is the man who fears the Lord, taking great delight in His commandments.
~Psalm 112:1, CSB
My appreciation, admiration and affinity for the Word of God grows daily.
Lately I cannot seem to find the appropriate adjectives to describe my love for the word of God. Each day I open the sacred book and each day I am amazed. First of all, I am amazed at how each days reading seems to meet a need in my life but there is more, much more. I generally read the Psalms once a year, sometimes twice and yet when I read Psalm 112 yesterday, it was as if I had never read it. It was new and fresh. I saw things I had never seen. A third thing that really impresses me is how often I see Jesus is the O.T. Take Psalm 112 for instances: there are clear references to Jesus.
- His descendants will be blessed.
- Wealth and riches are in His house.
- His righteousness endures forever.
- He is a light in the darkness.
- He is gracious and compassionate.
- He is benevolent and fair.
- He will never be shaken.
- His righteousness will be remembered forever.
- He will have no fears.
- His heart will be perfectly in tune with God the Father.
- He will triumph over His foes.
- His righteousness will endure forever.
- He will be exalted in honor.
- The wicked are vexed at His sight.
- He will frustrate the desire of the wicked.
Every one of the above is true of Jesus. None of the above can be said about David, myself or any other man. The word translated Compassionate is used to describe God extensively. I think it is used one time in reference to man. Some translate it merciful. I can show mercy but I am not merciful in the pure sense. I can do right things but I am not righteous, not as He is righteous. I have some courage but I am not unshakable. I can reflect the light but I am not the light source. Jesus is all that I am not and He is all that I want to be: my weakness is His strength. The good news is that God in His amazing grace is honing me, refining me, shaping me to be like Jesus. I’m not there by any stretch of the imagination but by grace I am moving in that direction and I am thrilled about it. There is no other person that I had rather be like than Jesus.
- God is good. He has allowed us to celebrate another great Thanksgiving Day. I really enjoyed the testimony service at church, at least what I could hear. Of all the days for me not to get a listening device.
- I carried Chloe Bug to see Ralph Wrecks the Internet. We got two drinks and a popcorn and it was $18. What a man will not do for grandkids!
- God is good and I praise Him for a beautiful Thanksgiving Day.