My guilt overwhelms me–it is too heavy to bear.
“It is the confession, not the priest, that gives us absolution.”
‘Heavy’ is an oft used adjective in the Old Testament…heavy hand, heavy taxes, heavy burdens, heavy loses, heavy blow, heavy load, heavy yoke but more times than not in the O.T. it modifies a burden [load] or taxes. It is used multiple times in regards to sin.
Isaiah said, “The earth staggers like a drunk. It trembles like a tent in a storm. It falls and will not rise again, for the guilt of its rebellion is very heavy.” The LORD speaking through Ezekiel said, “Son of man, give the people of Israel this message: You are saying, ‘Our sins are heavy upon us; we are wasting away! How can we survive?”
I have many reasons to look forward to heaven but perhaps the top on my list is to escape the presence of sin and guilt. Very few adults will admit it when they do or say something stupid which is a synanoun for hurtful but sometimes I speak before I think. Then I go around for days kicking myself for being so thoughtless. Have you ever done something sinful and then you couldn’t get it off your mind. It’s like one of those beer jingles on TV: they get stuck in your mind and you go around singing “This bud is for you,” and yet you hate Budwiezer and all it represents. Sin has a way of collecting on our conscience like rust on metal. Eventually, it becomes a burden to heavy to bear. It takes us down to our knees. Thank God we have a merciful and sympathic HIGH PRIEST.
Do you think Peter felt stupid after he denied Christ three times? Do you think Judas felt stupid for betraying innocent blood? The only difference between Peter and Judas is that Peter turned to Christ and got forgiveness. Judas confessed to the devil and then hung himself. Take your burden of sin and guilt to the LORD and leave it there.
- I have computer problems at work. Catfish is working over time to keep me up and running. I’ve been working from my lap top for weeks but I don’t have all the programs on it that I need so I hooked up Joe David’s old computer and it is an antique. It is slower than Christmas and that drives me nuts.
- GREAT TURN OUT last night for the STEW and HAYRIDES. I made the stew so I didn’t eat any. I don’t care for my own cooking. Mandy’s chili went like hotcakes. She also made hotdogs for the kids so I took a hotdog, poured chili over it, then slaw and had me a “Sparky’s Chili Slaw Dog.” It was great!
- While I stirred the stew, I got on facebook to pass the time and my facebook was bombarded with anti-hillary videos. It must be a concerted effort to defame her and I am encouraged. How can a sane person even consider voting for this vile woman. FOX NEWS reported this morning that the gap had closed to within 3% with Trump leading in Florida. Maybe there is a glimmer of hope.
- COMMUNION this Sunday morning and TRUNK-A-TREAT Sunday Night.
- We finalized our HOLIDAY SCHEDULE yesterday. Our December Sunday Night programs are: Adult Choir Christmas on December 4, Children’s Christmas Play on December 11 and Doug Seaver is going to do a concert on December 18.