“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You build tombs for the prophets and decorate the graves of the righteous.”
~Matthew 23:39, NLT
Do not wish to be anything but what you are and be that with all your heart.
~Francis de Sales
Last Sunday morning my message came from Luke 11:46-54 where Jesus denounced the hypocrisy of the Scribes or Lawyers. The lawyers of Jesus day had extended and complicated the laws of Moses. They had over 350 man made laws regarding the Sabbath. These man made laws made life difficult for the common man who was working sincerely to meet the laws demands. These laws had loopholes just like our laws today which enabled the lawyers to circumvent the very rules and regulations that were creating a heavy burden on the common people. To make bad matters worse, the lawyers didn’t care. They refused to make the least effort to ease the very burden they had placed on the backs of others.
The main point of the message was: “We need to think of ways we can make life less difficult for others.” While I was preparing the sermon, the LORD laid it on my heart to help a family which I did that very day. It was a very small act of kindness and I alluded to it in the message. When I got home, my wife said, “You could make my day less difficult by picking up after yourself.” Wow! A blow to my pride and hypocrisy, a staggering punch indeed. What was I to say? What was my defense? I had no pithy comeback, no lame excuse: I simply said, “You are right, that never crossed my mind.” Sad to say, I was telling the truth, it never crossed my mind. Before I left for work this morning, I put all my Sunday clothes, which I had left laying on the bed in the guest room, on hangers and in my closet. It didn’t take more than five minutes. Then I took some of my dirty clothes to the hamper and some of my dirty dishes to the sink. I think I forgot the glass beside my recliner. Hey, it’s a start.
- Speaking of hypocrisy, BLACK LIVES MATTER is a crock, a joke, a fraud. The movement is not about black lives because they are murdering black policemen and there is no protest about the murder of black babies. On average, 1,876 black babies are aborted every day in the United States. This incidence of abortion has resulted in a tremendous loss of life. It has been estimated that since 1973 Black women have had about 16 million abortions. Michael Novak had calculated “Since the number of current living Blacks (in the U.S.) is 36 million, the missing 16 million represents an enormous loss, for without abortion, America’s Black community would now number 52 million persons. It would be 36 percent larger than it is. Abortion has swept through the Black community like a scythe, cutting down every fourth member.” BLM reeks with hypocrisy. I have no proof but my gut instinct tells me that Obama is behind the movement and he is stirring anarchy. If he can coach these idiots into burning down four or five major cities, he will declare Martial Law and there will not be an election. Don’t laugh, Lincoln did it in 1863. By the way, the term civil suggest and insurrection but the South never attempted to take over the Government in DC, we simple wanted our independence from that tyrannical government. Now you can see why we would be better off if we were not tied to the Northeast. Government educators need to get their facts straight.
- BLOCK PARTY offering was good; attendance was much improved and we had 232 in LCBS. The two new classes are helping.
- THE PASTOR’S SEARCH TEAM has ask us to make AUGUST a month of prayer and fasting. We will call it 31 DAYS OF PRAYER. We are to pray for two things primarily:  The LORD’s will recognized and obeyed and  Congregational wellness or unity. Let me remind you that we are in the discussion phase. Anyone who has questions or opinions must speak now. Feel free to contact Anthony Shaneyfelt or any member of the team.
- Thousands of bikers have rolled into Cleveland to make sure that delegates to the RNC are not harassed by these subsidized anarchist. Way to go Bikers! I understand no one tried to block their way.
- Yesterday, July 18th was my Mother’s birthday, she would be 101. Today, Lord willing, I will be leading Jeremy’s fathers COLS. Every thing went well last night and I covet your prayers today. I do thank those that have brought food to Holly and Jeremy. We deeply appreciate your kindness.