Indifference is worse than hate. At least those who hate care.
On the eve of Jesus death on the cross, He took Peter, James and John with Him into the garden of Gethsemane for prayer. Jesus said, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death, stay here and keep watch.” Jesus went a little farther and then fell to the ground pouring out His soul to the Father. When Jesus returned to check on Peter, James and John, they were asleep. This was the darkest hour of Jesus life and He had asked them to keep vigil but their eyes were heavy and they went to sleep in the midst of the storm.
As Jesus points out in verse 38, the disciples are walking in the flesh and they did not understand the significance of the hour. I have had, on more than one occasion, men boast to me about how well they could sleep. Sleep has been difficult for me since I was a young man and I have had more than one to tell me, “It’s your conscience preacher, I sleep like a baby.” My answer is, “So did Jonah.” Sleeping soundly is not a sign that you are right with God; it could be a sign that you are apathetic and indifferent. It could be a sign that you are selfish or walking in the flesh. It could be a sign that you are not right with God. Some things should bother us. Some things should keep us awake. What we need today, is something that would wake us up from our spiritual liturgy.
- The full story about the fire is in MY STORIES. It is called, “Saved For A Purpose.” I’ve narrowly escaped two burning buildings so there is more than one story about being saved from a fire.
- Sample ballots will be out Sunday, we vote on Sunday morning August 14.
- Block Party week begins next Wednesday night at 6:00 with Pizza and then we go visiting.
- Guatemala Team comes in this morning.
- Full schedule Sunday: Deacons meet at 8:15, LCBS at 9:15, Worship at 10:15 and 6:15.
2016 College and Career Guatemalan Mission Team
3 thoughts on “Sleeping Through The Storm”
Loved this, so keep them coming
Wow, that took me back. That Sunday night in class I bragged about sleeping in the barn with you. I was so excited that you and I were going to be out there, with Herman (puppy). I have told people, I know God is real, he has kept me from perishing in a fire so that I could serve Him. Thank you Jesus for waking my brother, for using us both, although far from perfect, you use us to serve YOU.
I love you brother!