And they return at evening, snarling like dogs and prowling around the city. They scavenge for food; they growl if they are not satisfied.
~ Psalms 59:14-15 (CSB)
By prevailing over obstacles and distractions, one may unfailingly arrive as his chosen destination.
In biblical times, dogs were not viewed as pets. I don’t mean that this was never the case but generally speaking, dogs ran wild. To refer to another person as a ‘dog’ was a slur, a derogatory term. Dogs had no sense of value and had destructive habits. As you know, they are not the cleanest of animals. The enemies to which David is referring to in Psalm 59 is Saul and his henchmen. Saul has such deep contempt for David that he has resorted to slander and defamation of character. He must have been a democrat. Practically all of God’s servants suffer from slander but Saul had also made three or four attempts on David’s life. When someone is trying to kill you, that’s worse than slander although slander is about as low as you can go. Twice Saul’s children help David escape which makes the insecure monarch even more determined to eliminate David. Saul becomes so intent on destroying David that he neglects the affairs of state. David takes this problem to the LORD and in Psalm 59, he does not ask God to bless his enemy, nor does he ask God to destroy his enemy. He prays for Saul to trip on his own pride. Verse 12 reads...For the sin of their mouths and the words of their lips, let them be caught in their pride. — Psalms 59:12 (CSB) Actually, David does pray that they be consumed by God’s rage but slowly. He wants them to suffer as he has suffered. He doesn’t want them to have a quick and easy death.
What are the lessons to be learned?
- Jesus is our model, not David. David cursed his enemies and we are to love our enemies. Jesus said, “But I say to you who listen: Love your enemies, do what is good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. — Luke 6:27-28 (CSB)
- Every true servant of God will face opposition. Jesus said, Blessed are you when people hate you, when they exclude you, insult you, and slander your name as evil because of the Son of Man. “Rejoice in that day and leap for joy. Take note — your reward is great in heaven, for this is the way their ancestors used to treat the prophets. — Luke 6:22-23 (CSB) He also said, Woe to you when all people speak well of you, for this is the way their ancestors used to treat the false prophets. — Luke 6:26 (CSB)
- Our greatest opposition will come by word of mouth. Note verse 6…They return at evening, snarling like dogs and prowling around the city. Look, they spew from their mouths —sharp words from their lips. “For who,” they say, “will hear? ” Note what is going on here: David’s enemies said hateful, untrue, disparaging things about him and they were convinced that it would never be traced back to them. They did not believe they would ever be accountable for their words. You and I both know, these folks were not going to confront David personally. David was capable of getting mad and getting even. This is why David refers to them as ‘prowlers’, they slip around under the cover of darkness.
- Keep your focus. Study the gospels and see how many times Satan attempted to distract Jesus but Jesus never lost His focus. Focus on your goal, not the enemy or the obstacles in your path.
- Our STRENGTH is the LORD Jesus Christ. David said in verse 9, “I will keep watch for You my strength.”
- Praise God for the victory we have in Jesus. Verse 17...To you, my strength, I sing praises, because God is my stronghold —my faithful God. The devil is constantly at work trying to distract, disrupt and derail us. You have to remember, with Christ as our guide and strength, we become a FREIGHT TRAIN and we don’t stop for barking dogs. They don’t like it and they never stop barking but we do not stop to placate them. If we do, the devil wins. Remember Sanballat and Geshem, they sent Nehemiah a message, “Come, let’s meet together in the villages of the Ono Valley.” Nehemiah response, “O no I want.” Nehemiah refused to stop for the barking dogs and we had better learn from his example.
- Are you sick and tired of the Democrats obstructing and slandering. The Judge Moore thing made me sick to my stomach. Most of you can’t remember Robert Bork but they did the same thing to him and got by with it. The democrats have huge allies: they have Jewish money and the media which loves to pump out the fake news. I pray that God’s will be done and that Jesus somehow get glory from this mess. What political party kept Bill Clinton from being impeached for sodomy with an intern? I think it was the democrats with KKK Byrd casting the deciding vote. What hypocrites!
- I had a long day yesterday for a Senior Adult but made it fine PTL. Keith’s mother, Betty Blackwood is in Decatur General. I know someone gave me another name to visit Sunday night and it has slipped my mind. Shoot me a text and tell me who I forgot.
- I will try to get around to the nursing homes today. I may leave early to avoid the heat.