My friend was smiling when he spoke of his loss because he was thankful. He lost property and money but his family is safe and sound. Many years ago I heard a story about Matthew Henry, the famous Methodist Preacher. He got robbed at gun point. The man took his wallet and all his valuables. When the thief departed leaving Henry and his friend unharmed, He said to his friend, “Let us give thanks.” “For what,” said his friend? Henry said, “Let me be thankful, first, because he never robbed me before; second, because although he took my purse, he did not take my life; third, because although he took all I possessed, it was not much; and fourth, because it was I who was robbed, not I who robbed.” Not a bad outlook on life, right!
- It has been a week. The wind blew down our beautiful street lights that Johnny had fixed on Monday night. Then Tuesday night a twister hit Neel and destroyed a dozen homes or so; then Wednesday night Hurricane Katrina house burned; the house that Jay lives in. Extensive smoke damage.
- We had a work in yesterday at Kelvin and Tracey’s. If you need firewood, there is a huge stack in Kelvin’s front yard.
- There will be a deacon’s meeting this Sunday morning at 8:15. They will probably recommend that we do something for the families that have suffered loss this week. LIFE CHANGING BIBLE STUDY at 9:15, Worship at 10:15 with three Baptisms. Adult Choir Sunday night. Check the bulletin for times on the Sunday night services.
- Today I want you to pray for Joe David and Junior Hill. I actually want you to pray for Joe David every day. Sometimes we give spiritual leaders hero status but they are all human and they need our prayers as much as they need our admiration.
- We had a BOARD OF DIRECTOR’S MEETING for EASTERN GATE MINISTRIES this morning at CB. Dr. Junior Hill is our Chairman. Iron Mike Mason, Dr. Super James Hogan, Dr. Super Wally, Buzzard Gut Teague. Junior has nick-named the entire group. Seriously, all have Doctor’s degrees except me which makes me the most ignorant person at the table which is typical. All are Alabama fans but that had nothing to do with them being on board; it just happened. Just call in providence.